Mon Valley Care Center is located in Monongahela, Pennsylvania. This facility is one of the highest-rated facilities we assessed. A score in this range requires excellent marks across the board. We could not find many bad things to say about this facility. Its ratings are as good as they get. This nursing home was also given strong grades in all of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Mon Valley Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Monongahela, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Monongahela, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Monongahela, Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its strong profile, this facility also received a superb short-term care grade, with a grade of A. Our short-term care scores are arguably more meaningful for individuals in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mon Valley Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also excelled in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 96.09375 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final area we scored is nursing, where this nursing home received a B+. This finished off a very favorable profile. Very few facilities received a B+ or higher in every category. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mon Valley Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mon Valley Care Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mon Valley Care Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have suffered falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mon Valley Care Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mon Valley Care Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mon Valley Care Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mon Valley Care Center, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mon Valley Care Center, 88.22% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mon Valley Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mon Valley Care Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mon Valley Care Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mon Valley Care Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mon Valley Care Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Monongahela Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.47 miles away1163 Country Club Road Monongahela Pennsylvania 15063Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 258-1000
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.04 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 13.9 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Canonsburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.19 miles away100 Medical Boulevard Canonsburg Pennsylvania 15317Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 873-5892
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.67 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Washington Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 17.05 miles away155 Wilson Avenue Washington Pennsylvania 15301Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 225-7000
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 19.25 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 19.39 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mon Valley2.08 miles awayVista One Professionai Center 17 Arentzen Boulevard, Suite 105 Charleroi Pennsylvania 15022CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 489-0850
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Donora3.73 miles away470 Galiffa Drive Donora Pennsylvania 15033Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 379-7650
- Davita - Elizabeth Dialysis8.2 miles away201 Mckeesport Road Elizabeth Pennsylvania 15037Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 384-1822
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Redstone/Centerville8.61 miles away685b National Pike W. Brownsville Pennsylvania 15417Dialysis Stations: 14 (724) 632-5800
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Clairton9.4 miles awaySouth Hills Medical Building 575 Coal Valley Road, Suite 262 Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 469-7011
- Davita - Mckeesport West Dialysis11.83 miles away101 9th Street Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 672-3720
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis12.74 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Davita - Lincoln Way Dialysis13.48 miles away1303 Lincoln Way, Suite A Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15131Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 673-1191