Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing is a large nursing home located in East Islip, New York. Featuring an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is one of the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it earned an A+ in our inspections category. This is just about as good as it gets in this critical area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its first-rate profile, this facility also excelled in our short-term care area. In fact, it received a grade of A- in the category. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also performed well in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of A-. Very few facilities performed better in this category. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Turning to the fourth category, this facility received an acceptable nursing grade. While this wasn't as dominant as several of its other grades, this is still not a terrible score. Our nursing rating is based on numerous factors. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a low total compared with most other facilities. Lastly, nursing ratings also consider quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients which had falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.49 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.7 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 15.67 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.77 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.89 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.04 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center5.5 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Long Island Bay Shore Dialysis Center5.68 miles away929 Sunrise Highway Chronic Dialysis Ctr. Bay Shore New York 11706CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (631) 224-8500
- Long Island Community Hospital8.44 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack8.94 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Mills Pond Dialysis Center, LLC9.48 miles away134 Great East Neck Road West Babylon New York 11704Dialysis Stations: 11 (631) 539-5600
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr9.6 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Coram Dialysis Center9.88 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758