Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing is a large nursing home located in East Islip, New York. This facility is among the most impressive facilities we found. It received one of the most impressive grades that we offer. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the 100 best facilities in New York. This is an impressive feat in a state with a long list of high-end nursing homes. Headlining this nursing home's stellar profile is its inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on East Islip senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a great facility overall, it also received A+ inspections recently. Its inspections are nearly flawless. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its high-end profile, this facility also performed well in our short-term care area. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- for that area. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A- in our nursing category. In computing a nursing home's nursing score, we consider the amount of time nurses spend with patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our last area, this nursing home received an extremely favorable long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in this category, rounding out one of our better report cards. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.809525 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 2.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 0.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 0.83% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 8.73% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 9.13% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 56.28% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 97.39% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 9.32% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 17.64% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 17.64% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 8.36% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Momentum at South Bay for Rehab and Nursing, 62.56% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.49 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.7 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 15.67 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.77 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.89 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.04 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center5.5 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Long Island Bay Shore Dialysis Center5.68 miles away929 Sunrise Highway Chronic Dialysis Ctr. Bay Shore New York 11706CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (631) 224-8500
- Long Island Community Hospital8.44 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack8.94 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Mills Pond Dialysis Center, LLC9.48 miles away134 Great East Neck Road West Babylon New York 11704Dialysis Stations: 11 (631) 539-5600
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr9.6 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Coram Dialysis Center9.88 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758