Mission Palms Post Acute is a large facility located in Mesa, Arizona. This nursing home is a well above average facility, with an overall grade of B+. Even in a city with 10 nursing homes, this nursing home stands out as a first-rate selection. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Mission Palms Post Acute
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall rating, this nursing home fared even better in our inspections category which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that area, which is one of our highest grades. Inspection ratings are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home performed well in the area of short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mission Palms Post Acute?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care. It received one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a A-. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.92086 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Moving on to our final category, this nursing home was awarded a decent nursing grade. Even though this was not as good as a few of its other scores, this is really nothing to be ashamed of. Our nursing score is based on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mission Palms Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 3.1% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 80.03% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mission Palms Post Acute, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Mesa, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mesa, Arizona has 9 other nursing homes
- Banner Gateway Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away1900 North Higley Road Gilbert Arizona 85234Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 543-2000
- Mountain Vista Medical Center, LpAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away1301 South Crismon Road Mesa Arizona 85209Proprietary(480) 358-6100
- Banner Goldfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away2050 West Southern Avenue Apache Junction Arizona 85120Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 733-3300
- Mercy Gilbert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away3555 South Val Vista Drive Gilbert Arizona 85297Voluntary non-profit - Church(480) 728-8000
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.62 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.43 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Banner Ironwood Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.5 miles away37000 North Gantzel Road San Tan Valley Arizona 85140Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 394-4030
- Power Road Dialysis (Dva)0.47 miles away301 S Power Road Suite 104 Mesa Arizona 85206Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 641-1193
- East Valley Dialysis (Fmc)0.57 miles away135 S Power Rd Ste 103 Mesa Arizona 85206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (480) 985-4911
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Gilbert (Dva)4.17 miles away5222 E Baseline Rd Ste 104 Gilbert Arizona 85234CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 832-6996
- South Mountain Dialysis Center (Fmc)4.36 miles away26 E Baseline Ste 142 Phoenix Arizona 85042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (602) 268-8158
- Mountain Vista Dialysis of Arizona (Dva)4.96 miles away10238 E Hampton Ave Ste 108 Mesa Arizona 85209CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 357-0366
- Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)5.63 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 109 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 926-1906
- Home Dialysis of Mesa (Fmc)5.63 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 106 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 1 (480) 926-9222
- Mesa Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.86 miles away1525 N Gilbert Rd Ste 121 Gilbert Arizona 85234CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 497-1127