Mission Palms Healthcare Center is located in Westminster, California. The city has a population of 89,747 people. We gave this facility an B+ overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. As far as we can see, this nursing home is a solid choice for quite a few people. This facility also received consistently good scores in each of our categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Mission Palms Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
240 Hospital Circle,
Westminster CA 92683
83.63% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong nursing home is that it received an impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In this area, we awarded this facility an A. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this nursing home also earned a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. In calculating our short-term care grades, we size up a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is considered to be a fair measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mission Palms Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed is long-term care. This nursing home was awarded an above average long-term care grade, with a grade of B+ in the area. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to minimize negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Switching gears to the last category, this nursing home also performed well in the nursing category. We gave it a B+ for that area. This rounded out a very impressive profile. We assessed the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses spent with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mission Palms Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mission Palms Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Fmc-Rai-Hospital Circle-Westminster0.15 miles away290 Hospital Circle Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 895-3698
- Davita-Westminster South Dialysis1.34 miles away14014 Magnolia St. Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 894-8712
- Fmc-Rai-Goldenwest-Westminster1.8 miles away15330 Goldenwest Street Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 373-1543
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove3 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Fmc-Huntington Beach4.15 miles away17762 Beach Blvd, Ste 120 Huntington Beach California 92647Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 848-0021
- Davita-Huntington Beach Dialysis4.16 miles away16892 Bolsa Chica Avenue, Suite 100 Huntington Beach California 92649Dialysis Stations: 10 (714) 846-2102
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis4.4 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove4.5 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122