Mission Hills Post Acute Care is located in the large metropolitan area of San Diego, California with a population of 1,241,364 people. This is a very respectable facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a quality score. This place definitely has plenty of good features. The best part of this place's report card is is its short-term care rating. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Mission Hills Post Acute Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home fared well in our short-term care category. We awarded it a grade of A for that category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
In addition, this facility earned excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an B+. Inspection ratings account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Mission Hills Post Acute Care?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. There are several factors included in this area. Many of the criteria relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our last area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D for long-term care. This is the nursing home's least impressive category rating. Unfortunately, this score pulled down the nursing home's overall profile to a certain degree. For residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mission Hills Post Acute Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients who had falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mission Hills Post Acute Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 0.69 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.75 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.1 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.49 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.61 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis0.58 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Ucsd Dialysis Center2.1 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis3.87 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East3.98 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Fmc-Raven4.48 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center4.78 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego5.01 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Davita-San Diego East5.68 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225