Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital is a large nursing home in La Mirada, California. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a well below average facility. Based on our assessment, this facility likely isn't the best fit for most people. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade is not a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable score in the category of inspections. We awarded it a B- for that area, which is a decent score. Our inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Nursing grades are primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is well below average. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable category is short-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this area. This is basically a middle of the road score in this area. Our short-term care grades are probably most important for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Our next area is long-term care, where we awarded this facility a C in this area. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's personal care rather than the skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mirada Hills Rehabilitation and Convalescent Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Davita-Whittier Dialysis Center1.95 miles away10055 Whittwood Drive, Suite A Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (562) 947-1808
- Whittier Kidney Dialysis Center2 miles away16417 E. Whittier Blvd. Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (562) 947-8999
- Fmc-Norwalk East2.21 miles away13063 Rosecrans Avenue Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (562) 404-7400
- Davita-Norwalk Dialysis Center2.84 miles away12375 E. Imperial Highway Norwalk California 90650CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (562) 929-7430
- Davita La Habra Dialysis3.06 miles away1611 W Whittier Blvd La Habra California 90631Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 267-0430
- Davita-Firestone Blvd. Dialysis3.9 miles away11913 Firestone Blvd. Norwalk California 90650Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 863-2127
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center3.96 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis3.99 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281