Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond is one of just two facilities in Saint James, New York. Featuring an overall grade of B-, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. This facility has a few things working in its favor. The best part of this facility's profile was its stellar inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility an impressive grade in long-term care. This facility earned a B+ in this category, which turns out to be one of our more favorable scores. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.08879 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a C in this category. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this nursing home. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Moving on to our final category, this nursing home did not fare well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this was this nursing home's weakest category. There are a variety of criteria within this grade. Many of the factors are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who have experienced UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 13.2% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Luxor Nursing and Rehab at Mills Pond, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.23 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.85 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.23 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.89 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Coram Dialysis Center3.14 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci3.42 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr4.25 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc5.75 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center6.44 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Davita Medford Kidney Center7.43 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack8.7 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.10.07 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897