With an address in Hobart, Indiana, Hobart Miller's Merry Manor is one of a mere two nursing homes in the area. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Hobart Miller's Merry Manor
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best grades in this area with an A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Another one of this nursing home's stronger areas was in the category of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. Our nursing grade is largely based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Hobart Miller's Merry Manor?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are critical for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive area was long-term care, which is the last area we analyzed. We gave it an F in this area. Despite multiple acceptable scores in other areas, this grade is still alarming so we would like to to make sure you are aware. Facilities that don't score well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 93.382355 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hobart Miller's Merry Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 12.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing signs of depression. High rates of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 91.56% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.8 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.94 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 11.33 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- Porter Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away85 East Us Hwy 6 Valparaiso Indiana 46383Proprietary(219) 983-8300
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 12.53 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Davita - Gary2.61 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Fmc - Hobart2.8 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289
- Fmc - Gary Dialysis3.28 miles away3290 Grant Street Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 980-2860
- The Dialysis Center of Gary LLC3.62 miles away1705 W. 25th Ave, Suite 101 Gary Indiana 46404Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 944-0749
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center3.69 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Dialysis Center of Portage LLC5.03 miles away5615 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-4848
- Davita - Portage5.43 miles away5823 Us Hwy 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 764-0564
- Fmc - Portage Dialysis Center5.67 miles away5950 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-5731