With an address in Hobart, Indiana, Hobart Miller's Merry Manor is one of a mere two nursing homes in the area. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Hobart Miller's Merry Manor
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2901 W 37th Ave,
Hobart IN 46342
33.81% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the category of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best grades in this area with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Adding to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also received an excellent nursing score. We gave them an impressive grade of B- in this area. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a facility's nurse staffing. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. Although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Hobart Miller's Merry Manor?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category turned out to be its short-term care score, where it was given a C. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 4.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at was long-term care, which is this nursing home's least impressive area. It received an F in this area, which is obviously concerning. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 93.33333 percent of its residents, which is a bit lower than we were hoping for. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hobart Miller's Merry Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 12.89% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 91.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hobart Miller's Merry Manor, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.8 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.94 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 11.33 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- Porter Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.51 miles away85 East Us Hwy 6 Valparaiso Indiana 46383Proprietary(219) 983-8300
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 12.53 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Davita - Gary2.61 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Fmc - Hobart2.8 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289
- Fmc - Gary Dialysis3.28 miles away3290 Grant Street Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 980-2860
- The Dialysis Center of Gary LLC3.62 miles away1705 W. 25th Ave, Suite 101 Gary Indiana 46404Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 944-0749
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center3.69 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Dialysis Center of Portage LLC5.03 miles away5615 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-4848
- Davita - Portage5.43 miles away5823 Us Hwy 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 764-0564
- Fmc - Portage Dialysis Center5.67 miles away5950 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-5731