Midway Neurological / Rehab Center is a facility in Bridgeview, Illinois, a city with a population of 16,446 people. Our scoring scheme was not favorable to this nursing home, as it received an overall grade of F. Based on our assessment, you'd be better off to avoid of this place. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Midway Neurological / Rehab Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
8540 South Harlem,
Bridgeview IL 60455
88.29% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Midway Neurological / Rehab Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This place received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. Nursing ratings are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 1.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Midway Neurological / Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a bottom of the barrel grade in our long-term care area. It was given an F in this category. Nursing homes that don't score well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 44.389206 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.14 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was short-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F for this category, which is a rock bottom score. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. With its score in this category, we were not surprised to learn that this place is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we looked at. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 33 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Midway Neurological / Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents which have sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents who have suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 29.52% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 87.71% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Midway Neurological / Rehab Center, 71.34% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- Palos Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away12251 South 80th Avenue Palos Heights Illinois 60463Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 923-4000
- Little Company of Mary HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away2800 W 95th St Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 422-6200
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- Adventist La Grange Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away5101 S Willow Springs Rd La Grange Illinois 60525Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 352-1200
- Macneal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away3249 South Oak Park Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402Proprietary(708) 783-9100
- Adventist Hinsdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away120 North Oak St Hinsdale Illinois 60521Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 856-9000
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Davita - Stony Creek Dialysis1.6 miles away6246 W 95th St Oak Lawn Illinois 60453CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 233-9027
- Usrc - Hickory Hills Dialysis1.68 miles away9640 S. Roberts Road Suite B-3a Hickory Hills Illinois 60457Dialysis Stations: 13 (708) 459-9598
- Davita - Chicago Ridge Dialysis2.6 miles away10511 S. Harlem Ave. Chicago Ridge Illinois 60415Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 361-2863
- Motte Dialysis2.94 miles away5020 W. 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Dialysis Stations: 12 (615) 238-3136
- Dcc - Oak Lawn3.08 miles away9115 S Cicero Ave, Suite 300 Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Dialysis Stations: 11 (708) 907-3066
- Davita Ford City Dialysis3.08 miles away8159 S. Cicero Ave Chicago Illinois 60652Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 585-5504
- Fmc - Midway Dialysis3.11 miles away6201 W. 63rd Street Chicago Illinois 60638CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 229-8268
- Fmc - Burbank3.12 miles away4811 W 77th St Burbank Illinois 60459CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (708) 229-0584