Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation is a senior living facility located in Mercedes, Texas. The city has a total of 32,525 people. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. This place seems to have very little working in its favor. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mercedes senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Mercedes, Texas Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't rate this nursing home favorably overall, we actually gave it an excellent grade in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid facilities with a list of severe deficiencies flagged. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. The lack of deficiencies proved to be this place's greatest strength.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best category is its long-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of C. In determining our long-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of short-term care, this facility received just a D in this area. Our short-term care scores are likely more critical for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Based on its score in this category, we were not surprised to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The last area we looked at is nursing, was this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this category. Our nursing grade is largely associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. On top of its below average nursing hours, this place also received poor scores in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in determining our nursing ratings. We found that more of this place's patients sustained falls which led to major injury. We believe that many falls could likely be prevented with better nursing care. This metric contributed to this nursing home receiving a poor nursing rating.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.61% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 18.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0.41% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 100% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 16.67% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.76% of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.76% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 8.06% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mid Valley Nursing & Rehabilitation, 69% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.2 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 14.81 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.78 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 15.89 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Rio Grande State CenterPsychiatric 15.91 miles away1401 Rangerville Road Harlingen Texas 78550Government - State(956) 364-8000
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.7 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Harlingen Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.88 miles away5501 South Expressway 77 Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 365-1000
- Vhs Harlingen Hospital Company LLCAcute Care Hospitals 18.15 miles away2101 Pease St Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 389-1100
- Weslaco Dialysis Facility1.88 miles away1614 E Commercial Drive Weslaco Texas 78599CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (956) 973-1970
- Us Renal Care Mid Valley Weslaco Dialysis3.24 miles away1005 S. Airport Drive Weslaco Texas 78596CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 968-5806
- Weslaco Renal Center3.31 miles away910 Utah Weslaco Texas 78596CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 968-1895
- Biomedical Applications of Texas, Inc3.33 miles away1010 Rone Drive Weslaco Texas 78596Dialysis Stations: 23 (956) 973-0002
- Renal Treatment Centers of Southeast, Lp4.29 miles away1307 Cameron St Mercedes Texas 78570Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 514-2596
- Davita Donna Dialysis5.83 miles away1006 East Hwy 2 Donna Texas 78537Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 461-2519
- Us Renal Care Delta Dialysis6.79 miles away400 E. Edinburg Blvd Elsa Texas 78543CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 262-3400
- Fresenius Medical Care Tri-City10.25 miles away734 North Alamo Road Alamo Texas 78516CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 783-5628