Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Bronx, New York. We gave this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. You flat out can not do any better than this place. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
4499 Manhattan College Parkway,
Bronx NY 10471
79.41% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This place received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its elite resume, this facility also performed well in our short-term care area. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for the category. Our short-term care grades are believed to be more important for patients in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. This place provided more registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities in this area with 70.7 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a favorable long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our better grades in that area with a score of B+. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the aged 65 and up population. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. While it had 2.21 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted statistic was better than the majority of nursing homes since it had some more complex patients.
The final area we assessed was nursing. We awarded this facility a decent score in this area, with a grade of C. Although this is not as high as many of this facility's other grades, it is still nothing to be ashamed of. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our rating in this category. This particular nursing home provided 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in some quality-focused statistics. Specifically, we look at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these statistics as predictive measures of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.02% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 92.45% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 42 other nursing homes
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.37 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Davita Riverdale Dialysis Center0.71 miles away170 W. 233rd Street Bronx New York 10463CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 884-4300
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.52 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center1.85 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.07 miles away3525 White Plains Road, Suite B Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 547-4562
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.07 miles away3525 White Plains Road Ste. A Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 652-1013
- Montefiore Medical Center - Wakefield Hospital2.17 miles away600 East 233rd Street Hemodialysis Unit Bronx New York 10466Dialysis Stations: 8 (718) 920-9041
- Davita Allerton Dialysis2.53 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center2.67 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860