Mesquite Tree Nursing Center is located in Mesquite, Texas, a city with 140,703 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A grade in this range generally indicates a few red flags. Mesquite received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Mesquite Tree Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this facility favorably overall, we actually gave it an excellent score in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Inspection ratings are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next highest category was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a C. In determining these long-term care scores, we look at the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Mesquite Tree Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in that category. In calculating these short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Given its poor score in this area, we were not surprised to discover this nursing home provides substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
The next area we assessed is nursing, which proved to be this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this facility a grade of D in this category. In calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we consider the number of hours nurses commit to patients as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mesquite Tree Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have experienced falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 94.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that mobility is critical to residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital RockwallAcute Care Hospitals 11.75 miles away3150 Horizon Road Rockwall Texas 75032Proprietary(469) 698-1000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC2.23 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.27 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Balch Springs Dialysis2.71 miles away12001 Elam Road Balch Springs Texas 75180CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 913-8767
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite2.93 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC3.71 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite3.97 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC5.36 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Bma Dallas Central5.83 miles away7610 Military Parkway Dallas Texas 75227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (214) 381-9494