Mesquite Tree Nursing Center is located in Mesquite, Texas, a city with 140,703 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A grade in this range generally indicates a few red flags. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for Mesquite, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to find a better option If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Mesquite Tree Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mesquite senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that area, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection ratings are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest category we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a C. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Mesquite Tree Nursing Center?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. In determining a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, nursing scores also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care, which ended up being a low point for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a grade of just D for the area of short-term care. Our short-term care scores are thought to be more critical for individuals in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. With its score in this category, we were not surprised to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we assessed. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mesquite Tree Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 6.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 0.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients which had falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents that experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 0.57% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 9.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 0% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 99.65% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 17.95% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 10.67% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 10.67% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mesquite Tree Nursing Center, 64.26% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 2.21 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital RockwallAcute Care Hospitals 11.75 miles away3150 Horizon Road Rockwall Texas 75032Proprietary(469) 698-1000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC2.23 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.27 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Balch Springs Dialysis2.71 miles away12001 Elam Road Balch Springs Texas 75180CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 913-8767
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite2.93 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC3.71 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite3.97 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC5.36 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Bma Dallas Central5.83 miles away7610 Military Parkway Dallas Texas 75227CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (214) 381-9494