Mesa Vista of Boulder is a large nursing home located in Boulder, Colorado. With a terrible overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Boulder. The city has just three other nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Mesa Vista of Boulder
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2121 Mesa Drive,
Boulder CO 80304
81.97% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Mesa Vista of Boulder has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
This facility really excelled in the category of nursing, where it earned an B-. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. We looked at the levels of nurses at the facility, as well as the number of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our rating in this category. This nursing home provides 3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Although this nursing home didn't have as many nursing hours per resident as many of the other nursing homes we assessed, it was still better than average in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator of how carefully a facility's nursing staff is tending to its patients. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Mesa Vista of Boulder?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this nursing home only earned a D for its short-term care rating, which is well below average in this category. Our short-term care ratings are vital for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its weak grade in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this nursing home provides substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 40.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last category, this facility did not perform very well in this area either. With a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as terrible as it gets. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 65.884476 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be quite a bit below the national average. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.12 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mesa Vista of Boulder Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 5.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 3.41% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 2.12% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 17.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 12.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 3.71% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 85.88% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 15.2% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 20.54% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 1.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 20.54 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mesa Vista of Boulder, 11.36 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Boulder, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Boulder, Colorado has 3 other nursing homes
- Foothills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.89 miles away4747 Arapahoe Avenue Boulder Colorado 80303Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 415-7000
- Centura Health-Avista Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.18 miles away100 Health Park Dr Louisville Colorado 80027Voluntary non-profit - Church(303) 673-1280
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away200 Exempla Circle Lafayette Colorado 80026Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 689-4000
- Uchealth Broomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.25 miles away11820 Destination Drive Broomfield Colorado 80021Proprietary(303) 460-6000
- Longmont United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.17 miles away1950 Mountain View Ave Longmont Colorado 80501Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 651-5111
- St Anthony North Health CampusAcute Care Hospitals 15.38 miles away14300 Orchard Pkwy Broomfield Colorado 80023Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 627-0000
- North Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.75 miles away9191 Grant St Denver Colorado 80229Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 451-7800
- Boulder Dialysis (Dva)0.43 miles away2880 Folsom St Ste 110 Boulder Colorado 80304Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 440-5600
- Kidney Center of Frederick3.8 miles away5992 Iris Parkway Longmont Colorado 80504Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 833-1381
- Kidney Center of Lafayette (Ara)9.77 miles away2655 Crescent Dr Ste C Lafayette Colorado 80026CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (720) 890-4661
- Kidney Center of Longmont (Ara)11.02 miles away1960 Ken Pratt Blvd Ste A Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 20 (303) 485-7100
- Longmont Dialysis (Dva)13.12 miles away1715 Iron Horse Dr Ste 170 Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 485-4084
- Kidney Center on Main (Ara)13.51 miles away2144 Main St Ste 2 Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 485-8911
- Arvada Dialysis Center (Dva)15.28 miles away9950 W 80th Ave Ste 25 Arvada Colorado 80005Dialysis Stations: 16 (303) 456-9556
- Kidney Center of Northridge (Ara)15.72 miles away1865 W 121st Ave, Ste 300c Denver Colorado 80234Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 429-9550