Located in San Antonio, Texas, Mesa Vista Inn Health Center is on a list of 62 facilities located in the city. This nursing home received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for San Antonio, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still may be able to do better If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Mesa Vista Inn Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that area, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection grades are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes with severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Despite this deficiency, this was still a relatively positive report.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care score turns out to be one of its better grades. The facility was given a C in this category. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 98.89503 percent of its residents. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Mesa Vista Inn Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only earned a D for its short-term care score, which is not a very good score. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is considered to be a fair assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. With its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this place was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the figures we looked at. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
The next category we assessed was nursing. It received an F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. When computing a facility's nursing score, we consider the number of hours nurses are caring for residents and the level of licensure of those nurses. With only 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mesa Vista Inn Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who sustained a fall leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 94.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mesa Vista Inn Health Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.64 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 1.03 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.55 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 8.62 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Bma Northwest Bexar County0.82 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis0.91 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- Floyd Curl Dialysis1.23 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center1.48 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309
- Us Renal Care Bandera Road Dialysis1.75 miles away7831 Westchase San Antonio Texas 78238Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 682-1300
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic1.9 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Usrc Medical Center, LLC2.42 miles away4511 Nw Loop 410 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 541-0273
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa2.54 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075