Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center is in Costa Mesa, California, a city with a population of 110,851 people. Featuring an overall grade of C, this looks like a respectable facility. As far as we can see, this place would be a solid choice for quite a few people. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Federal
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's nursing score is better than its overall score. Due to a strong performance in this area, it received a quality score in nursing with a grade of B. Our nursing grade assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a positive grade in our short-term care category. We gave this nursing home an above average grade of B in that category. Short-term care grades are often used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center?
Next we looked at this facility's inspection grade This is based on the facility's recent government inspections. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is a middle of the pack grade in this category. Inspection ratings are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This nursing home had 6 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to present an imminent risk to resident safety or health. We did not find anything on this facility's inspection report to be too concerning.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. This is a fair grade in this category. Long-term care grades are often used to score a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.739494 percent of its residents. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who experienced a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mesa Verde Post Acute Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center0.74 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis1.8 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.22 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services3.35 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis3.99 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis4.3 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley4.97 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home4.98 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281