Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Mesa, Arizona. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a decent score. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
255 West Brown Road,
Mesa AZ 85201
64.86% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. This nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to point out that this facility was awarded strong long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our higher grades in this area, with a grade of B+. This turned out to be the facility's second strongest grade. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 89.411766 percent of its patients. This is somewhat less than we anticipated. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a decent grade of C. Our short-term care scores are vital for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Switching gears to the final area, this facility received a C in nursing, which we consider to be a decent rating. Our nursing rating considers a variety of data points. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care residents which are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents that were given antianxiety medication. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.1% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 80.03% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Mesa, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mesa, Arizona has 9 other nursing homes
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Banner Gateway Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away1900 North Higley Road Gilbert Arizona 85234Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 543-2000
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.6 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 10.28 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Scottsdale Shea Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away9003 East Shea Boulevard Scottsdale Arizona 85260Proprietary(480) 323-3000
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- Mercy Gilbert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away3555 South Val Vista Drive Gilbert Arizona 85297Voluntary non-profit - Church(480) 728-8000
- Red Mountain Dialysis (Fmc)0.31 miles away1211 N Country Club Dr Ste 4 Mesa Arizona 85201Dialysis Stations: 13 (480) 833-7440
- Southwest Kidney Central Mesa (Dva)1.52 miles away1134 E University Dr Ste 101 Mesa Arizona 85203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 464-3851
- Southwest Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)3.31 miles away1457 W Southern Ave Ste 19 Mesa Arizona 85202Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 894-5411
- Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)4.29 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 109 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 926-1906
- Home Dialysis of Mesa (Fmc)4.29 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 106 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 1 (480) 926-9222
- Scottsdale Dialysis (Fmc)4.59 miles away1495 N Hayden Ste d1-d4 Scottsdale Arizona 85257Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 949-7844
- South Mountain Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.05 miles away26 E Baseline Ste 142 Phoenix Arizona 85042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (602) 268-8158
- Salt River Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.26 miles away10301 E Osborn Rd Bldg 14 Scottsdale Arizona 85256Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 362-1044