Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Mesa, Arizona. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a decent score. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. This nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to point out that this facility was awarded strong long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our higher grades in this area, with a grade of B. This turned out to be the facility's second strongest grade. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 87.5 percent of its patients. This is somewhat less than we anticipated. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category scores came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B. Short-term care ratings are important for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
This facility's least impressive category is nursing, which is the last category we analyzed. For this category, we awarded this facility a grade of D. Nursing scores are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This place offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients which had a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.87% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 81.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.95 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mesa Christian Health and Rehabilitation Center, 73.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Mesa, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mesa, Arizona has 9 other nursing homes
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Banner Gateway Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away1900 North Higley Road Gilbert Arizona 85234Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 543-2000
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.6 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 10.28 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Scottsdale Shea Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away9003 East Shea Boulevard Scottsdale Arizona 85260Proprietary(480) 323-3000
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.07 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- Mercy Gilbert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away3555 South Val Vista Drive Gilbert Arizona 85297Voluntary non-profit - Church(480) 728-8000
- Red Mountain Dialysis (Fmc)0.31 miles away1211 N Country Club Dr Ste 4 Mesa Arizona 85201Dialysis Stations: 13 (480) 833-7440
- Southwest Kidney Central Mesa (Dva)1.52 miles away1134 E University Dr Ste 101 Mesa Arizona 85203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 464-3851
- Southwest Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)3.31 miles away1457 W Southern Ave Ste 19 Mesa Arizona 85202Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 894-5411
- Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)4.29 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 109 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 926-1906
- Home Dialysis of Mesa (Fmc)4.29 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 106 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 1 (480) 926-9222
- Scottsdale Dialysis (Fmc)4.59 miles away1495 N Hayden Ste d1-d4 Scottsdale Arizona 85257Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 949-7844
- South Mountain Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.05 miles away26 E Baseline Ste 142 Phoenix Arizona 85042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (602) 268-8158
- Salt River Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.26 miles away10301 E Osborn Rd Bldg 14 Scottsdale Arizona 85256Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 362-1044