Mercy Rehab and Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Belleville, Illinois. Featuring an overall grade of C, this is likely a decent facility. This nursing home seems to have a few things working in its favor. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Mercy Rehab and Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable area is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 50.80214 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is quite a few points below the national average. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Mercy Rehab and Care Center?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. Our nursing rating looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. This is clearly a significant concern. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Based on its score in this area, we were not surprised to find that this place was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mercy Rehab and Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients which sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 30.45% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 87.4% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Belleville, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Belleville, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.92 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- Metro-East Services IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away1404 Cross Street O Fallon Illinois 62269Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 607-1000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.28 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.58 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.63 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 18.5 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Davita - Metro East Dialysis2.32 miles away5105 West Main St. Belleville Illinois 62226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (618) 233-9018
- Fkc - Belleville2.98 miles away6525 W Main Street Belleville Illinois 62223Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-8181
- Davita - Shiloh Dialysis3.44 miles away1095 North Green Mount Rd Belleville Illinois 62221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 628-1108
- Total Renal Care, Inc.4 miles away1941 Frank Scott Parkway East, Suite B O Fallon Illinois 62269Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 622-0592
- Davita Edgemont Dialysis5.21 miles away8 Vieux Carre Drive East Saint Louis Illinois 62201Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-3809
- Fmc - Regency Park5.28 miles away124 Regency Park Drive O Fallon Illinois 62269CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 622-0634
- Davita - Collinsville10.24 miles away101 Lanter Ct. Collinsville Illinois 62234Dialysis Stations: 8 (618) 344-2016
- Davita - Sauget Dialysis Center11.28 miles away2061 Goose Lake Road East Saint Louis Illinois 62206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 332-7801