Mercy Rehab and Care Center is an average-sized facility located in Belleville, Illinois. We gave this facility an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some decent scores. This nursing home seems to have a few things going for it. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Mercy Rehab and Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
100 Rosewood Village Drive,
Belleville IL 62220
45.16% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a solid grade in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of B-. For patients seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. This facility's vaccination data weren't as impressive as its nursing hours data. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 62.43655 percent of its patients. We'd like to see some improvement in this area in the future. Lastly, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. This facility did not excel here either, with 3.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. While this figure is somewhat concerning, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to the medical complexity of patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Mercy Rehab and Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that it was above average in this area with 51.7 percent of its residents returning home.
Our next category is nursing, where we awarded this facility a C in that category. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of skill of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provided 4.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is an impressive figure. Lastly, we also factored some quality measures into our nursing grades. Specifically, we looked at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these metrics as predictive measures of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mercy Rehab and Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric could be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 29.52% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 87.71% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mercy Rehab and Care Center, 71.34% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Belleville, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Belleville, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.92 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- Metro-East Services IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away1404 Cross Street O Fallon Illinois 62269Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 607-1000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.79 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.28 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.58 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.63 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 18.5 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Davita - Metro East Dialysis2.32 miles away5105 West Main St. Belleville Illinois 62226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (618) 233-9018
- Fkc - Belleville2.98 miles away6525 W Main Street Belleville Illinois 62223Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-8181
- Davita - Shiloh Dialysis3.44 miles away1095 North Green Mount Rd Belleville Illinois 62221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 628-1108
- Total Renal Care, Inc.4 miles away1941 Frank Scott Parkway East, Suite B O Fallon Illinois 62269Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 622-0592
- Davita Edgemont Dialysis5.21 miles away8 Vieux Carre Drive East Saint Louis Illinois 62201Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-3809
- Fmc - Regency Park5.28 miles away124 Regency Park Drive O Fallon Illinois 62269CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 622-0634
- Davita - Collinsville10.24 miles away101 Lanter Ct. Collinsville Illinois 62234Dialysis Stations: 8 (618) 344-2016
- Davita - Sauget Dialysis Center11.28 miles away2061 Goose Lake Road East Saint Louis Illinois 62206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 332-7801