Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center is in Houston, Texas. This city is among the largest cities in the nation with has a total of 2,906,700 people. With an overall score of A-, this is undoubtedly a very strong facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes nationally. This place also received very consistent ratings in each of our categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a great nursing home is it received a very impressive inspection grade. Inspections ended up being its best category. In that category, we gave this nursing home an A. Inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also performed well in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A. Very few nursing homes fared better in this area. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths for the senior population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. There are a number of factors within this area. Many of these datapoints relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this facility was awarded an extremely favorable short-term care grade. Although this isn't nearly as dominant as several of its other scores, this is nevertheless one of our more impressive scores we offer. Our short-term care grades are important for patients needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Memorial City Health and Rehabilitation Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.35 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 9.35 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Spring Branch Dialysis0.17 miles away1425 Blalock Ste 100 Houston Texas 77055CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 932-7795
- Blalock Dialysis Center, Inc0.42 miles away1170 Blalock Road Suite 200 Houston Texas 77055Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 463-6611
- West Houston Dialysis Center0.46 miles away9623 Long Point Rd Houston Texas 77055Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 932-6324
- Croskee Dialysis, LLC2.07 miles away10405 Katy Fwy Suite 140 Houston Texas 77024Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 647-0641
- West Houston Home Dialysis2.51 miles away1319 Sam Houston Pkwy N, Ste 130 Houston Texas 77043Dialysis Stations: 1 (713) 465-0005
- Northwest Kidney Center3.84 miles away10985 Northwest Freeway Houston Texas 77092CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 812-1217
- Heights Dialysis3.87 miles away739 E 20th Street Houston Texas 77008Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 802-0542
- Brookhollow Dialysis4.01 miles away4918 West 34th Street Houston Texas 77092CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 681-3043