Melrose Healthcare is an average-sized nursing home located in Melrose, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this is likely a solid nursing home. At the end of the day, this facility is a solid choice for quite a few people. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility really excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an A. Our nursing grade consists of a handful of components, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Inspections is another area where this nursing home excelled. We awarded this nursing home an A- for our inspections category. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. We weren't able to locate information on deficiency's for this nursing home. We wish we had more data for this nursing home. Without all of the information regarding deficiencies, it is difficult to really evaluate it in terms of this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Melrose Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category was long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a C. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 94.09091 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was short-term care. This nursing home was awarded a C for this area. In the area of short-term care, we strive to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Melrose Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Melrose Healthcare, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Melrose Healthcare, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Melrose Healthcare, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Melrose Healthcare, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Melrose Healthcare, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Melrose Healthcare, 1.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Melrose Healthcare, 91.63% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Melrose Healthcare, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Melrose Healthcare, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Melrose Healthcare, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Melrose Healthcare, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Melrose Healthcare, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 0.69 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 6.59 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center3.15 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)3.16 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fmc Services of Stoneham3.38 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.05 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Woburn Dialysis4.2 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Dci Ball Square4.44 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis6.26 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Massachusetts General Hospital6.43 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700