Medilodge of Southfield is a large nursing home located in Southfield, Michigan. Our grading scheme was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall grade of F. Unfortunately, the city grade for Southfield is not too much better. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to find a better option More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was nursing, which is addressed in the next section.
Medilodge of Southfield
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Medilodge of Southfield has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of B- in that category. Our nursing category is based on several subcategories, many of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this metric. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we awarded this nursing home a C for its short-term care score, which isn't too bad of a score. Short-term care ratings are vital for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Medilodge of Southfield?
Among this nursing home's worst category grades was a lowly F for its inspection score. Generally, this indicates we found some red flags on the nursing home's inspection reports. For places with bad inspection scores, you should focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with one category J or K deficiency, which are among the worst deficiencies. We are also concerned by the fact that this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next area, this nursing home didn't fare very well in this category either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is about as bad as it gets. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 94.1704 percent of its patients, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Medilodge of Southfield Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Medilodge of Southfield, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Medilodge of Southfield, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Medilodge of Southfield, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Medilodge of Southfield, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Medilodge of Southfield, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Medilodge of Southfield, 3.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Medilodge of Southfield, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Medilodge of Southfield, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Medilodge of Southfield, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In Medilodge of Southfield, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Medilodge of Southfield, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Medilodge of Southfield, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Medilodge of Southfield, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Southfield, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Southfield, Michigan has 4 other nursing homes
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 9.65 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.19 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.16 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Davita Oak Park Dialysis0.85 miles away13481 W 10 Mile Rd Parkswoods Plaza Oak Park Michigan 48237Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 582-9750
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC0.97 miles away2624 11 Mile Rd Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 28 (248) 543-7005
- Michigan Metropolitan Dialysis, l.l.c.1.1 miles away2361 Coolidge Hwy Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 1 (248) 336-0336
- Cornerstone Dialysis of Davita1.42 miles away23857 Greenfield Rd Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (248) 569-6111
- Southeast Michigan Kidney Center1.81 miles away1695 W 12 Mile Rd, Suite 250 Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 2 (248) 414-5200
- Davita - Starrwood Dialysis2.52 miles away3425 Starr Rd Ste B Royal Oak Michigan 48073Dialysis Stations: 17 (248) 549-0208
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC2.75 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Davita - Greenview3.1 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729