Medicalodges Gardner is an average-sized nursing home in Gardner, Kansas. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some respectable scores. This place seems to have a few things going for it. We were also pleased to find that this facility was consistent in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories is available below.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
223 Bedford Street,
Gardner KS 66030
66.82% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its excellent inspection reports in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection scores account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home earned an impressive grade of B in our nursing category. When calculating our nursing grades, we assess both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 2.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Medicalodges Gardner?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B- in this area. Our short-term care ratings are important for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. We gave it a grade of C in that area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Long-term care grades assess a facility's personal care instead of the highly skilled therapy or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 87.214615 percent of its patients, which is well below average. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Medicalodges Gardner Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Medicalodges Gardner, 7.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Medicalodges Gardner, 5.13% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients that have had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Medicalodges Gardner, 3.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Medicalodges Gardner, 16.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Medicalodges Gardner, 21.94% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Medicalodges Gardner, 5.8% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Medicalodges Gardner, 92.32% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Medicalodges Gardner, 17% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Medicalodges Gardner, 21.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Many believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Medicalodges Gardner, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Medicalodges Gardner, 21.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 14.73 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.18 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Miami County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.22 miles away2100 Baptiste Drive Paola Kansas 66071Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 557-4385
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 18.62 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Gardner Dialysis1.07 miles away328 E Main St Gardner Kansas 66030Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 884-8488
- Olathe Dialysis7.25 miles away732 W Frontier Lane Olathe Kansas 66061CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 390-4937
- Davita Nottingham Dialysis11.66 miles away14010 W 134th Pl Olathe Kansas 66062Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 764-0358
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis14.25 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Fkc - Lenexa14.69 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Lenexa Dialysis16.61 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood16.63 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Paola Dialysis17.01 miles away1605 East Peoria St Paola Kansas 66071Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 294-8417