The Cedars at Mease Life is in Dunedin, Florida, a city with a population of 37,240 people. This nursing home proved to be an A rated facility, which is one of the best grades we offer. Impressively, this matched the average grade of facilities in Dunedin, which has some of the highest graded nursing homes in Florida. Headlining this place's stellar report card is its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
The Cedars at Mease Life
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Diabetes Management
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a top notch facility overall, this place also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category generally have few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A- in our nursing category. Our nursing grade is mostly tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Florida in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about The Cedars at Mease Life?
Long-term Care Quality
Compounding its high-end profile, this facility also was awarded a strong long-term care score, with a score of A-. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 97.81022 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final category, this facility received an excellent short-term care score. We gave it an A- in this category, giving this facility straight A's. Our short-term care ratings are likely more critical for folks in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Cedars at Mease Life Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 2.43% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 94.61% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Cedars at Mease Life, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Mease Dunedin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away601 Main St Dunedin Florida 34698Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 733-1111
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Adventhealth North PinellasAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away1395 S Pinellas Ave Tarpon Springs Florida 34689Voluntary non-profit - Other(727) 942-5000
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.66 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.52 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Medical Center of TrinityAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away9330 Sr 54, Ste 401 New Port Richey Florida 34655Proprietary(727) 834-4900
- Gulf Breeze Dialysis Center1.15 miles away1519 Main Street Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 25 (727) 738-4425
- Fresenius Kidney Care-Dunedin1.53 miles away1121 Overcash Drive Suite A Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 733-1112
- Bma - Clearwater2.67 miles away26338 Us Hwy 19 N Clearwater Florida 33761CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 723-8123
- Rai-Us 19 North-Clearwater3.52 miles away29296 Us Hwy 19 N #1 Clearwater Florida 33761CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (727) 785-9036
- Renviva Dialysis Center of Clearwater, LLC4.68 miles away401 Corbett Suite 250 Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 281-4490
- Fmc - Belleair Home Therapies4.74 miles away617 Lakeview Rd Suite C Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 441-2913
- Fkc - Belleair Dialysis Center4.74 miles away617 Lakeview Road Suite B Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 441-8590
- Rai Care Centers - Clearwater5.11 miles away1057 S Fort Harrison Avenue Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (727) 441-1608