Meadowbrook Care Center is located in Freeport, New York. Sporting an overall score of B-, this looks like a middle of the road facility. Based on our ratings, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this place's profile is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Meadowbrook Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
320 West Merrick Road,
Freeport NY 11520
97.25% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a strong grade in our long-term care category. We gave this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in that area. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.87669 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. While it had 2.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was better than the majority of nursing homes since it had some more complex patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Meadowbrook Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities third best area is short-term care. We gave it a C in this area. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this category. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most critical for folks in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, we found that this nursing home provided respectable levels of physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. In fact, we found that it outperformed the majority of nursing homes in the country in this area with 50.7 percent of its patients returning home. This is a higher rate than most nursing homes.
The last category we assessed is nursing. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in our nursing category, rendering this the facility's weakest area. Our nursing grade weighs many subcategories, however, the paramount one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is below the national average. In addition to receiving below average scores for nursing hours, this place was less impressive in some of the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing grades. We looked at the percentage of residents sustaining pressure ulcers and found this facility was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Meadowbrook Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 13.02% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 92.45% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Meadowbrook Care Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.2 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 9.08 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.36 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Main Street Dialysis Center, LLC0.68 miles away3 North Main Street Freeport New York 11520Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 771-7112
- Davita Freeport Kidney Center1.02 miles away351 South Main Street Freeport New York 11520CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (516) 623-1786
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.1.89 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center2.86 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Nassau University Medical Center3.39 miles awayA. Holly Paterson Extended Care Facility 875 Jerusalem Avenue Uniondale New York 11553CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (516) 572-1800
- Fresenius Kidney Care Bellmore3.55 miles away250 Pettit Avenue Bellmore New York 11710CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 679-3090
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead3.62 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.69 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101