Mcallen Nursing Center is a small nursing home located in Mcallen, Texas. With an overall rating of C, this appears to be a middle of the pack nursing home. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Mcallen, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. You also may want to review this facility's category grades below. We discuss long-term care in the next section.
Mcallen Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home fared well in our long-term care category. We awarded it an impressive grade of A- for that category. This saved its overall profile. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it earned a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed as well in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Mcallen Nursing Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an D. We looked at the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with patients, in determining our rating in this category. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This figure is far below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was short-term care. It received an abysmal F in this category, which is a rock bottom grade. This is clearly a significant concern. Our short-term care grades are probably more critical for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this facility provides significantly less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical nursing home. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mcallen Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mcallen Nursing Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.37 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC1.08 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen1.32 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis1.58 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Driscoll Children's Valley Dialysis Center1.66 miles away1120 East Ridge Road Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 4 (956) 688-1220
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen1.73 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Fresenius Medical Care River Valley Clinic2.01 miles away433 W Sam Houston Blvd Pharr Texas 78577Dialysis Stations: 16 (956) 283-0646
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen2.44 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center3.35 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208