Mayfair Care Center is a large nursing home located in Hempstead, New York. This nursing home received an overall grade of C, which is a solid grade. This actually turned out to be the highest rated facility in Hempstead. One of the major highlights of this facility's report card is its stellar inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Mayfair Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
100 Baldwin Road,
Hempstead NY 11550
65.25% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received a grade of A+. Few facilities performed better in this category. Our inspection grades are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was given strong long-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our better scores in this area, with a B+. This turned out to be the facility's second highest score. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 97.53087 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.27 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mayfair Care Center?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an D. Our nursing score assesses many subcategories, many of which are associated with nursing hours. This place averaged just 3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This facility also had terrible marks in some of the quality-based metrics to go along with its low nursing hour totals. We looked at the percent of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and we were disappointed. This place was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was short-term care, which was this facility's weakest category. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is clearly a major concern. Our short-term care grade is often employed to judge a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Unfortunately, we learned that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 26.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mayfair Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mayfair Care Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mayfair Care Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mayfair Care Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mayfair Care Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mayfair Care Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mayfair Care Center, 13.02% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mayfair Care Center, 92.45% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mayfair Care Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mayfair Care Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Mayfair Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mayfair Care Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mayfair Care Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mayfair Care Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 6.7 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.19 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead0.71 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Nassau University Medical Center1.21 miles awayA. Holly Paterson Extended Care Facility 875 Jerusalem Avenue Uniondale New York 11553CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (516) 572-1800
- Davita Garden City Dialysis Center2.93 miles away1100 Stewart Avenue Suite 2 Garden City New York 11530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 357-0004
- Nyu Langone Hospitals3.13 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Main Street Dialysis Center, LLC3.22 miles away3 North Main Street Freeport New York 11520Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 771-7112
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.3.32 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- Davita Freeport Kidney Center4.03 miles away351 South Main Street Freeport New York 11520CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (516) 623-1786
- True North Dialysis Center, LLC4.11 miles away1 Cisney Ave Floral Park New York 11001Dialysis Stations: 1 (516) 327-9502