Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized non-profit nursing home in Honolulu, Hawaii. This facility has the distinction of being one of the top five facilities in Hawaii. This is really as good of a place as you're going to find. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category grades, which also impressed us. You just can't do any better than a straight A profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
5113 Maunalani Circle,
Honolulu HI 96816
89.5% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
Best Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. There are many datapoints included in this area. Most of these subcategories are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This top notch facility also excelled in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of A+. Very few nursing homes fared better in this category. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 98.95105 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strength for this facility was short-term care, where it received an A+ grade. This is simply as dominant as it gets in this category. Our short-term care grades are important for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an elite grade of A. This finished off a straight A report card for this nursing home. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients that are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.74% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 95.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.67% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.11 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 76.75% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Honolulu, HI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Honolulu, Hawaii has 5 other nursing homes
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & ChildrenChildrens 2.99 miles away1319 Punahou Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 983-6000
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.49 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- Adventist Health CastleAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away640 Ulukahiki St Kailua Hawaii 96734Voluntary non-profit - Church(808) 263-5500
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 8.49 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.41 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Kaimuki Dialysis1.27 miles away3625 Harding Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 735-2585
- Dsi Kapahulu Dialysis Center1.82 miles away750 Palani Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 732-7702
- Us Renal Care Beretania Dialysis2.71 miles away1908 South Beretania Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Dialysis Stations: 17 (808) 947-2797
- Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii Ala Moana4.83 miles away500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 7302 Honolulu Hawaii 96813Dialysis Stations: 3 (808) 566-6388
- Dsi Honolulu Dialysis Center4.89 miles away226 N. Kuakini St Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 54 (808) 545-3933
- Siemsen Dialysis Facility5.03 miles away2226 Liliha Street Suite 226 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 74 (808) 585-4660
- Dsi Aloha Dialysis Center5.25 miles away1520 Liliha Street, Suite 101 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 531-1748
- Liberty Dialysis Hawaii5.81 miles away7192 Kalanianaole Hwy Suite Q-101 Honolulu Hawaii 96825Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 394-6274