Mary's Meadow at Providence Place is a small non-profit nursing home in Holyoke, Massachusetts. This is an A rated facility. This nursing home was given one of the most impressive ratings that we offer. A grade in this range requires top-notch scores across the board. We simply can't say enough good things about this facility. This nursing home was also given strong grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Mary's Meadow at Providence Place
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
12 Gamelin Street,
Holyoke MA 01040
74.74% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Our inspection scores are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down deficiency data for this facility. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received an A+ short-term care grade, making it one of the few facilities to be given multiple A+ category scores. In our short-term care score, we attempt to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. This facility provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from this nursing home. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy staffing, we found that it fared as well as just about any facility in the country in this area with 68.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Mary's Meadow at Providence Place?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, we gave this facility a score of A- for our long-term care rating. This is a dominant rating. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the statistics we considered on top of this facility's above average nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Switching gears to our fourth category, this nursing home was awarded a high-end nursing score. We gave it an A- in that category, rounding out a straight A profile. Nursing ratings are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This place provided 6.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day, which is among the highest figures in the country. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most skilled levels of nurses. We are very impressed by these statistics. On top of looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality measures in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these statistics as good indicators of the caliber of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Mary's Meadow at Providence Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients that have had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 1.96% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 91.59% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Many believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Mary's Meadow at Providence Place, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Holyoke, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Holyoke, Massachusetts has 5 other nursing homes
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.61 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.29 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 11.79 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 15 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC0.43 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Chicopee Dialysis Center1.61 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center1.72 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts3.18 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)4.35 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.88 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)5.52 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC5.76 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022