Maryland Gardens Care Center is one of 24 facilities in Phoenix, Arizona. This is an A rated facility. It received one of the highest grades that we offer. A score in this range requires superb marks across the board. Based on our analysis, this place is just about as as good as it gets. Headlining this facility's exemplary profile is its inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
Maryland Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with a strong overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many impressive grades, this nursing home received an excellent long-term care score. In fact, it received a score of A in that category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Maryland Gardens Care Center?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. We analyzed the skill-level of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the number of hours those nurses worked with patients, in computing our score in this category. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final area, this nursing home also received a first-rate short-term care score, with a grade of B+. This completed an elite profile. Our short-term care grades are likely most meaningful for folks requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the number of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maryland Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that experienced falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 3.1% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting signs of depression. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 80.03% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Maryland Gardens Care Center, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Phoenix, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Phoenix, Arizona has 23 other nursing homes
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 5.3 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- North Phoenix Dialysis (Fmc)2.96 miles away1957 W Dunlap Ave Ste 6c Phoenix Arizona 85021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (602) 943-1763
- Central Phx Dialysis (Fmc)2.98 miles away3421 N 7th Ave Phoenix Arizona 85013CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (602) 274-2293
- Phoenix Childrens Hospital- Dialysis Center4.22 miles away1920 E Cambridge Rd Ste 102 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 6 (602) 933-3220
- Arcadia Dialysis Center (Fmc)4.26 miles away4021 N. 30th Street Phoenix Arizona 85016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (602) 957-2142
- Evergreen Park Dialysis4.55 miles away926 E Mc Dowell Rd Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85006Dialysis Stations: 20 (602) 252-1418
- Pediatric Dialysis Center of Phoenix LLC4.55 miles away2545 East Thomas Road Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 2 (602) 957-1648
- Brookwood Dialysis Clinic (Dva)5.11 miles away8910 N 43rd Ave Ste 107 Glendale Arizona 85302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 937-2735
- Maryvale Dialysis (Fmc)5.26 miles away4502 W Indian School Rd Ste a4-11 Phoenix Arizona 85031CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (623) 247-0695