Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is one of a mere two facilities located in Waltham, Massachusetts. This facility was given an A- overall, which is one of the top grades we offer. A grade of this caliber requires superb marks across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the country. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place turned out to be a great nursing home is it earned an A+ in our inspections category. This is as good as it gets in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. It doesn't appear that we were able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf profile, this facility also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a score of A in the area. In our short-term care grade, we endeavor to craft a sound measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing grade analyzes a handful of datapoints, but the main one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning a resident more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is long-term care. In this area, we gave this facility a favorable grade of B. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 72.62357 percent of its patients. This is slightly below what we anticipated. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who have pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients which were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Maristhill Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.75 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 6.7 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham1.05 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis3.8 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston3.83 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Wellesley Dialysis4.2 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Kidney Center6.03 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Davita Brookline Dialysis6.13 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Dci Ball Square6.23 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)6.89 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282