Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care is located in Jamaica, New York. It looks like this nursing home is one of the highest-rated facilities we found. This nursing home received one of the top ratings we offer. This is really as good of a nursing home as you're going to find. This nursing home was also given impressive ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Jamaica senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility earned near flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection ratings are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its elite resume, this facility also excelled in our short-term care area. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more important for residents in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, this facility received first-rate long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in this category. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last area we graded ended up being this nursing home's poorest area. However, even its worst category would actually be a highlight for many nursing homes. In fact, we gave it a favorable grade of B in our nursing category. The nursing rating weighs several factors, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these data points as predictive indicators of the caliber of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 8.77% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 1.41% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who had a UTI. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 6.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 8.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 12.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 99.83% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 16.8% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 14.15% of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 14.15% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 6.65% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 97% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Jamaica, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Jamaica, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.25 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 3.89 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Davita Jamaica Hillside Dialysis0.51 miles away171-19 Hillside Ave Jamaica New York 11432Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 526-2051
- Fms-South Queens Dialysis Center1.06 miles away175-37 Liberty Avenue Jamaica New York 11433CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (718) 297-9100
- Kew Gardens Dialysis Center1.32 miles away120-46 Queens Boulevard Kew Gardens New York 11415CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 793-3341
- Vestal Healthcare LLC1.7 miles away176-35 Union Turnpike Fresh Meadows New York 11366Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 969-3293
- Trude Weishaupt Memorial Dialysis Center1.7 miles away@ New York Hospital of Queens 59-28 174th Street Fresh Meadows New York 11365CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (718) 670-1276
- Davita Queens Dialysis Center2.31 miles away118-01 Guy R. Brewer Boulevard Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 341-6711
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens2.61 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center2.69 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600