Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care is located in Jamaica, New York. It looks like this nursing home is one of the higher-rated facilities we looked at. A score in this range requires high-end scores across the board. This is really as good of a nursing home as you'll find. We also gave this facility strong scores in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well overall, this nursing home also earned nearly flawless government inspections. Therefore, it received one of our best scores in that category with an A+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's above average category grades came in the category of long-term care. We gave them one of our higher scores in that category, with a grade of B+. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we awarded them one of our stronger scores in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. Short-term care scores are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 5.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The last area we graded was nursing, where this nursing home was given a grade of B. While this ended up being its worst category rating, this is still a favorable rating. Our nursing score includes many components, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 13.6% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 91.89% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who remained mobile levels.
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Margaret Tietz Center for Nursing Care, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Jamaica, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Jamaica, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.25 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 3.89 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Davita Jamaica Hillside Dialysis0.51 miles away171-19 Hillside Ave Jamaica New York 11432Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 526-2051
- Fms-South Queens Dialysis Center1.06 miles away175-37 Liberty Avenue Jamaica New York 11433CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (718) 297-9100
- Kew Gardens Dialysis Center1.32 miles away120-46 Queens Boulevard Kew Gardens New York 11415CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 793-3341
- Vestal Healthcare LLC1.7 miles away176-35 Union Turnpike Fresh Meadows New York 11366Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 969-3293
- Trude Weishaupt Memorial Dialysis Center1.7 miles away@ New York Hospital of Queens 59-28 174th Street Fresh Meadows New York 11365CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (718) 670-1276
- Davita Queens Dialysis Center2.31 miles away118-01 Guy R. Brewer Boulevard Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 341-6711
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens2.61 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center2.69 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600