Maplewood Park Place is one of four available nursing homes located in Bethesda, Maryland. This nursing home proved to be an A+ facility, which is the absolute highest rating. Not surprisingly, this is the highest rated nursing home in the city. This also ended up being a very consistent facility with consistently strong scores in all four of our categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Maplewood Park Place
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an A+. Nursing ratings are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Maplewood Park Place?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a grade of of A+ for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. This means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 7.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final category, this facility also was awarded an A+ long-term care grade, rendering it one of an elite group of facilities to be awarded all A+'s. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maplewood Park Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maplewood Park Place, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maplewood Park Place, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maplewood Park Place, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have sustained a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maplewood Park Place, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maplewood Park Place, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maplewood Park Place, 10.05% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maplewood Park Place, 92.62% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maplewood Park Place, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Maplewood Park Place, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Maplewood Park Place, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Maplewood Park Place, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Maplewood Park Place, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Bethesda, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bethesda, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.25 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 1.5 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 8.17 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Bma - Bethesda1.1 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Us Renal Care - Rockville2.8 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Bma - Wheaton3.99 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Holy Cross Hospital4.24 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Us Renal Care Bethesda Dialysis4.55 miles away4701 Sangamore Rd Suite p017 Bethesda Maryland 20816Dialysis Stations: 10 (870) 931-5400
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.76 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Davita - Silver Spring5.11 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC5.66 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090