Maplewood Park Place is one of a mere two available nursing homes in Bethesda, Maryland. This turns out to be an A+ rated facility, which is our most impressive grade. We were so impressed with this facility that we rated it as one of the top three nursing homes in Maryland. This also ended up being a very consistent facility with consistently strong scores in all four of our categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Maplewood Park Place
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Bethesda senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Bethesda, Maryland Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Bethesda, Maryland Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Bethesda, Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received quality marks in the area of short-term care. Consequently, it was given one of our most impressive scores in that category with a score of A+. Our short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Maplewood Park Place?
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of nursing. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. The nursing rating assesses several factors, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning a patient more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final area, this facility received a very strong long-term care rating. We awarded it a grade of A in that area, resulting in this facility receiving straight A's. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. After considering the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maplewood Park Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maplewood Park Place, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maplewood Park Place, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maplewood Park Place, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maplewood Park Place, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maplewood Park Place, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maplewood Park Place, 11.04% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maplewood Park Place, 90.84% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maplewood Park Place, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Maplewood Park Place, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Maplewood Park Place, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.25 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 1.5 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 8.17 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Bma - Bethesda1.1 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Us Renal Care - Rockville2.8 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Bma - Wheaton3.99 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Holy Cross Hospital4.24 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Us Renal Care Bethesda Dialysis4.55 miles away4701 Sangamore Rd Suite p017 Bethesda Maryland 20816Dialysis Stations: 10 (870) 931-5400
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.76 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Davita - Silver Spring5.11 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC5.66 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090