Maplewood Care Center is located in the large metropolitan area of Tulsa, Oklahoma which has a total of 413,574 people. This nursing home was given an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Tulsa. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. Although this facility received one encouraging category grade for long-term care, which you can find more information about below.
Maplewood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a more respectable long-term care grade this year. We gave it a C in that area, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we were able to find for this facility. Long-term care grades are often used to measure a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 96.268654 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This facility's next best category was inspections. Nevertheless, with a grade of just D in this category, it still fared relatively poorly. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines in recent years exceeding $50,000. This typically means that inspectors grew tired after multiple years of failed government inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Maplewood Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Another issue was the F this facility was given in the area of short-term care. Short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this place was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Turning to the final area, this facility did not fare very well in this area either. Due to a poor grade of F in nursing, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. Our nursing rating features a host of factors. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maplewood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maplewood Care Center, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maplewood Care Center, 4.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of long-term residents who had a fall which resulted in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maplewood Care Center, 3.45% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents that sustained a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maplewood Care Center, 13.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maplewood Care Center, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maplewood Care Center, 3.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating signs of depression. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maplewood Care Center, 92.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maplewood Care Center, 14.52% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Maplewood Care Center, 16.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Maplewood Care Center, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Maplewood Care Center, 16.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Maplewood Care Center, 15.05 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Maplewood Care Center, 70.64% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Tulsa, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Tulsa, Oklahoma has 20 other nursing homes
- Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 0.21 miles away6262 South Sheridan Road Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 492-8200
- Saint Francis Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 0.92 miles away6161 South Yale Tulsa Oklahoma 74136Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 494-2200
- Southwestern Regional Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away10109 East 79th Street Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 286-5000
- Oklahoma Surgical Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away2408 East 81st Street, Suite 300 Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Physician(918) 477-5095
- Hillcrest Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away8801 South 101st East Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Proprietary(918) 294-4000
- Saint Francis Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away10501 East 91st Street South Tulsa Oklahoma 74133Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 307-6000
- St John Medical Center, IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away1923 South Utica Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74104Voluntary non-profit - Private(918) 744-3131
- Tulsa Spine & Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.59 miles away6901 South Olympia Avenue Tulsa Oklahoma 74132Proprietary(918) 388-5701
- St Francis Hospital-Dialysis0.72 miles away6161 S Yale Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74136CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 494-5575
- Davita - Tulsa Dialysis2.6 miles away4436 S Harvard Ave Tulsa Oklahoma 74135Dialysis Stations: 20 (918) 660-0571
- Fmcna - Richard Medlock2.63 miles away2845 E Skelly Dr Tulsa Oklahoma 74105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (918) 747-7127
- Fmcna - East Tulsa3.23 miles away5147 S Garnett Rd Ste C Tulsa Oklahoma 74146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 250-3427
- Davita - Southcrest3.55 miles away10921 East 81st St Tulsa Oklahoma 74133CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (918) 249-8402
- Fmcna - South Tulsa3.63 miles away8260 S Lewis Tulsa Oklahoma 74137Dialysis Stations: 21 (918) 299-2841
- Davita - dt4 Dialysis4.04 miles away4800 West San Antonio Street Broken Arrow Oklahoma 74012Dialysis Stations: 4 (918) 307-1320
- Fkc - Beverly Mathis Memorial Dialysis4.49 miles away5230 S Mingo Rd Tulsa Oklahoma 74146Dialysis Stations: 13 (918) 660-0816