Maplewood Care Center is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. It looks like this is a fine nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a favorable grade. The facilities in Saint Paul received high grades across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the best places in Minnesota to find a nursing home. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile is its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section
Maplewood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of faring well in its overall grade, this nursing home received even higher grades in the area of short-term care. It received one of our best grades in that area with an A. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. In calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are seeing residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Maplewood Care Center?
Another area of strength for this facility is in inspections. Inspections turned out to be one of its best categories. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This place received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst area is long-term care, which is the last category we scored. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F in this area. Despite multiple excellent grades in other categories, this grade is still a bit concerning so we would like to to draw your attention to it. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility gave the vaccine to a relatively low 76.99115 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maplewood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maplewood Care Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maplewood Care Center, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents who suffered falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maplewood Care Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients that have had a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maplewood Care Center, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maplewood Care Center, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maplewood Care Center, 4.58% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maplewood Care Center, 93.31% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maplewood Care Center, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Maplewood Care Center, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Maplewood Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Maplewood Care Center, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Maplewood Care Center, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Maplewood Care Center, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 30 other nursing homes
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Lakeview Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.18 miles away927 West Churchill Street Stillwater Minnesota 55082Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 430-5330
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 12.41 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.49 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Maplewood Dialysis of Davita0.98 miles away2785 White Bear Ave, Suite 201 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 779-2222
- Fmc - Maplewood Heights1.62 miles away1725 Legacy Pkwy E Ste 200 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 748-7989
- Fmc Dialysis Services of St Paul3.99 miles away445 Etna Street Suite 60 Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 251-3847
- Sun Ray Dialysis of Davita4.07 miles away1744 Old Hudson Road Saint Paul Minnesota 55106CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 793-5191
- Davita Phalen Dialysis4.13 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville4.24 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita5.48 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit5.48 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896