ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East) is in Palos Heights, Illinois, a city with 14,671 people. This is a solid facility, with an overall grade of C. This facility seems to have some things working in its favor. The best part of this place's report card was is its short-term care score. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East)
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
7850 West College Drive,
Palos Heights IL 60463
58.09% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home an A in the area of short-term care. Short-term care grades are typically employed to judge a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This nursing home is above the national average both in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents. These are generally good indicators of quality short-term care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy staffing, we found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in the nation in this area with 60 percent of its residents returning home.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. Nursing ratings are largely based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home offers 3.5 hours of nursing care per patient daily, of which more than an hour of those were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the most highly trained nurses. In determining our nursing scores, we attach more weight to hours performed by registered nurses. Finally, we also factored a few quality measures into our nursing grades. This nursing home was relatively weak in two of the major areas we focus on, with below average scores for minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. These areas are generally reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East)?
This nursing home received its third best category score in inspections. Inspection scores are based on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. We awarded this facility a C in this area. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were category J through L deficiencies. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to place patient health or safety in immediate harm or jeopardy. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is long-term care. It received an F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. This is certainly a significant concern. Facilities that don't fare well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated a relatively low 87.0229 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have had falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients which have experienced a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 29.52% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 87.71% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Palos Heights East), 71.34% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Palos Heights, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Palos Heights, Illinois has 3 other nursing homes
- Palos Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.46 miles away12251 South 80th Avenue Palos Heights Illinois 60463Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 923-4000
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- Little Company of Mary HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away2800 W 95th St Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 422-6200
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away2701 W 68th Street Chicago Illinois 60629Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 884-9000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Adventist La Grange Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away5101 S Willow Springs Rd La Grange Illinois 60525Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 352-1200
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.61 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.74 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Davita - Chicago Ridge Dialysis2.5 miles away10511 S. Harlem Ave. Chicago Ridge Illinois 60415Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 361-2863
- Usrc - Hickory Hills Dialysis2.86 miles away9640 S. Roberts Road Suite B-3a Hickory Hills Illinois 60457Dialysis Stations: 13 (708) 459-9598
- Davita - Stony Creek Dialysis3.6 miles away6246 W 95th St Oak Lawn Illinois 60453CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 233-9027
- Fmc - Alsip Dialysis Center3.76 miles away12250 S Cicero Ste 105 Alsip Illinois 60803CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 389-0955
- Concerto Dialysis4.45 miles away14255 S Cicero Ave Midlothian Illinois 60445Dialysis Stations: 9 (847) 233-1200
- Fmc - Crestwood4.48 miles away4815 Midlothian Turnpike Midlothian Illinois 60445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 293-1665
- Motte Dialysis4.64 miles away5020 W. 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Dialysis Stations: 12 (615) 238-3136
- Davita - Palos Park Dialysis4.75 miles away13155 S. Lagrange Road Orland Park Illinois 60462Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 923-0928