ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough) is a large non-profit facility located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Featuring an overall score of A, this is undoubtedly a world class facility. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as one of the highest rated nursing homes in Pittsburgh. This facility also received very consistent grades in all of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough)
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this ended up being a quality nursing home is that it earned a very impressive grade in inspections. In fact, inspections ended up being its best category. In that category, we awarded this facility an A. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its high-end performance in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A- for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough)?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. There are a variety of criteria included in this area. Most of the factors are tied to nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this nursing home also performed admirably in the long-term care category. We gave it a B+ for that area. This finalized a very strong report card. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 98.01136 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who had falls resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 3.23% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 88.5% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Whitehall Borough), 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 5.97 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills1.44 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis2.23 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Davita - Bethel Park2.56 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville3.54 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville3.6 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Three Rivers5.37 miles away1401 Forbes Avenue, Suite 250 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 281-8233
- Davita - Homestead Dialysis5.49 miles away207 West 7th Avenue Homestead Pennsylvania 15120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 476-8700
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Oakland5.64 miles away3260 Fifth Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 30 (412) 647-3700