ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring) is a large non-profit nursing home in Silver Spring, Maryland. This nursing home turns out to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. Based on all of the relevant data, you could do much worse than this place. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring)
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Silver Spring senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a quality overall score as described above, but we especially would like to emphasize its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was hit with 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home an B+. Nursing scores are tied to nurse staffing levels. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring)?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility was given a favorable short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area with a grade of B. Our short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded was long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a very good long-term care grade this year, with a B. This nursing home really didn't have any weak spots. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 80.606064 percent of its residents for pneumonia. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 11.04% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 90.84% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Silver Spring), 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 4 other nursing homes
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.08 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.85 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.82 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.69 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC1.35 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Fmc - Silver Spring1.35 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook2.49 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville3.52 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263
- Calverton Dialysis3.55 miles away4780 Corridor Place Ste C Beltsville Maryland 20705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 595-0231
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.57 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Ara - Adelphi4.58 miles away1801 Metzerott Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 434-1884
- Bma - Wheaton5.33 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307