Located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills) is on a list of 29 facilities this area. We awarded this facility an extremely impressive overall score of A-. In fact, it is actually ranked among the fifteen highest rated facilities in Pittsburgh. You simply can not do any better than this nursing home. This nursing home also received impressive ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills)
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well in its overall grade, this nursing home received a nearly flawless inspection report. Consequently, we gave it one of our best scores in that area with an A. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's above average category grades came in the category of short-term care. We gave them one of our higher scores in that category, with a score of B+. Our short-term care scores are meaningful for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills)?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we scored, this facility was awarded a very favorable grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this score, the nursing home wrapped up a very strong profile. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 98.87892 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 3.23% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 88.5% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (North Hills), 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Heritage Valley SewickleyAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away720 Blackburn Road Sewickley Pennsylvania 15143Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 741-7000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 8.29 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Dci of North Hills0.81 miles away3412 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (412) 635-0211
- Davita Avonworth Dialysis1.74 miles away259 Mt. Nebo Pointe Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Dialysis Stations: 9 (412) 364-3238
- Dci of North Borough Clinic3.79 miles away100 South Jackson Avenue, 7th Central Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15202Dialysis Stations: 8 (412) 766-6590
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler5.22 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Total Renal Care Inc5.77 miles away5888 Steubenville Pike, Suite 4 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 5 (412) 787-0314
- Ara - Dialysis Unit at Ohio Valley Hospital LLC5.77 miles awayMedical Arts Building 27 Heckel Road, Suite 113 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 331-2423
- Davita Northside Dialysis6.47 miles away930 Madison Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (412) 322-2520
- Dialysis Clinic Inc - Canterbury6.86 miles away376 Fisk Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 683-2670