ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda) is a nursing home located in Bethesda, Maryland, a city with 80,090 people. This is a fine facility. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is a strong rating. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this place. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next section
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda)
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially wanted to point out its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave it an impressive grade of A in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda)?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. We assessed the licensure of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with residents, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final category, this nursing home was awarded a highly favorable long-term care grade. This facility didn't prove to have any identifiable weaknesses. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 85.44061 percent of its residents, which is slightly less than we anticipated. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 10.18% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 92.14% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 19.83% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Bethesda), 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Bethesda, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Bethesda, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.52 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 9.17 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Bma - Bethesda0.19 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Us Renal Care - Rockville2.38 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Bma - Wheaton4.67 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Advanced Dialysis Center - Rockville4.85 miles away299 Hurley Ave Rockville Maryland 20850Dialysis Stations: 9 (301) 838-9119
- Us Renal Care Bethesda Dialysis5.15 miles away4701 Sangamore Rd Suite p017 Bethesda Maryland 20816Dialysis Stations: 10 (870) 931-5400
- Holy Cross Hospital5.2 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC5.24 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton5.35 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620