With an address in Alexandria, Virginia, ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria is one of just three available nursing homes in this area. After receiving an A overall grade, this facility has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 50 nursing homes in Virginia. We could not find many negative things to say about this place. Its ratings are as good as they get. As you will see below, this place also performed just fine in our category scores. It is hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1510 Collingwood Road,
Alexandria VA 22308
72.18% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category. In our short-term care assessment, we attempt to craft a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that it fared as well as just about any facility in Virginia in this area with 68.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Our inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. Nursing scores are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This particular nursing home provided 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these metrics as predictive indicators of the quality of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was long-term care. This facility was awarded a better than average nursing rating this year, with a grade of B. Although this is not as good as many of its other scores, this is nevertheless one of the more favorable scores in that category. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. This place also keeps its patients out of the hospital. While it had 1.91 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted statistic was better than the majority of nursing homes due to it having some more complicated patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 4.13% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 91.75% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation - Alexandria, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.92 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Fort Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away11711 Livingston Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Voluntary non-profit - Other(301) 292-7000
- Fort Belvoir Community HospitalAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.92 miles away9300 Dewitt Loop Fort Belvoir Virginia 22060Department of Defense(571) 231-3224
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Medstar Southern Maryland Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away7503 Surratts Road Clinton Maryland 20735Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 868-8000
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.63 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Somatus Dialysis of Mount Vernon0.88 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Suite 100 Alexandria Virginia 22306Dialysis Stations: 12 (703) 721-8075
- Friendly Farms Home Dialysis2.39 miles away10905 Fort Washington Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 5 (301) 292-0540
- Fmc - Fort Belvoir2.73 miles away8796 P Sacramento Dr Alexandria Virginia 22309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (703) 360-4552
- Fmc - Fort Foote3.66 miles away8507 Oxon Hill Rd Suite 100 Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 686-0802
- Us Renal Care Fort Washington Dialysis3.8 miles away10707 Indian Head Highway Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 292-3610
- Bma - Fort Washington4.11 miles away12780 Old Fort Rd Fort Washington Maryland 20744Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 203-9010
- Franconia Dialysis Center4.15 miles away5695 King Center Dr Ste 105 Alexandria Virginia 22315CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (703) 921-9506
- Alexandria Kidney Center5.84 miles away4141 Duke Street Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (703) 370-8250