Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home in Hyattsville, Maryland. We gave this facility an overall score of F. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Hyattsville. The city has just three other nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1801 Metzerott Road,
Hyattsville MD 20783
97.23% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it earned a fairly impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable scores in that category with a grade of B. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid nursing homes with too many severe deficiencies flagged. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't rate too badly in the area of long-term care. Indeed, we gave it a grade of C for that category, which wound up being another one of its better scores. Our long-term care grades are crucial for patients seeking non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 94.52554 percent of its patients. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home just a D for our short-term care rating. This is not a very good score. In calculating these short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. With a score in this range in this area, we were not stunned to find that this facility was below average in multiple staffing metrics we looked at. In fact, it offered substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics sunk this facility's short-term care grade.
The final area we rated is nursing. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that category. Nursing grades are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This place offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.04% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 90.84% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Adelphi Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Hyattsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Hyattsville, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 5.78 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.18 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.39 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Ara - Adelphi0.46 miles away1801 Metzerott Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 434-1884
- Takoma Park Dialysis1.31 miles away1502 University Blvd E Hyattsville Maryland 20783CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 408-1202
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook2.64 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Fmc - Takoma Park2.83 miles away6495 New Hampshire Ave Ste Ll 100 Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 559-1040
- Davita - Silver Spring2.88 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961
- Rai - Chillum-Washington3.15 miles away6411 Chillum Pl Nw Washington District of Columbia 20012CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (202) 291-2191
- Holy Cross Hospital3.31 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Fmc - Silver Spring3.45 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484