Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville is a large facility located in Hyattsville, Maryland. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Hyattsville. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
6500 Riggs Road,
Hyattsville MD 20783
92.37% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable short-term care score this year. We gave it a C in that area, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we found for this place. Our short-term care grades are arguably most meaningful for those in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. One of this facility's strength is that it offers more hours of physical therapy per week to its patients. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. It was above average in this metric with 54.6 percent of its patients returning home.
This facility excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an C. Few places performed better in this category. Our nursing score is largely based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 3.1 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is not an impressive total. Lastly, although this place did not rank highly in terms of its nursing hours per resident, it fared much better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In terms of the number of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, this facility fared better than the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville?
Sadly, this facility received a grade of just D in our inspection category. This is well below average grade. Inspection ratings factor in many items found on the facility's inspection reports. If you find severe deficiencies on the reports, this is generally a bad sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This facility was hit with one category L deficiency, which is the worst possible category of deficiencies. This category means the government inspectors identified a widespread deficiency placing resident health or safety in immediate jeopardy. Even one deficiency in this category will really pull a facility's inspection rating down. Finally, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines recently totaling more than $100,000. This typically indicates that a nursing home's poor track record has been an issue for several years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is a poor grade. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were concerned by the fact that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 89.47369 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was not as bad as we expected at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Although it had 1.74 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was not bad due to it having some more complex patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 13.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 14.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 9.93% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 92.59% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 19.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 30.1% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who remained mobile levels.
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 30.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Manor Care Health Services - Hyattsville, 73.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Hyattsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hyattsville, Maryland has 5 other nursing homes
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 3.43 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.3 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Fmc - Takoma Park0.85 miles away6495 New Hampshire Ave Ste Ll 100 Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 559-1040
- Takoma Park Dialysis1.11 miles away1502 University Blvd E Hyattsville Maryland 20783CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 408-1202
- Us Renal Care - Hyattsville1.33 miles away4920 Lasalle Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20782Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 277-0490
- Rai - Chillum-Washington1.49 miles away6411 Chillum Pl Nw Washington District of Columbia 20012CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (202) 291-2191
- Rai - Chillum-Hyattsville1.5 miles away2426 Chillum Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20782CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (301) 927-8808
- Bma - Northeast Washington1.97 miles away817 Varnum St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (202) 832-4481
- Mt. Rainier Dialysis2.19 miles away2303 Varnum Street Mount Rainier Maryland 20712Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 277-5350
- Ara - Adelphi2.46 miles away1801 Metzerott Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 434-1884