Maluhia is one of six available nursing homes in Honolulu, Hawaii. This nursing home proved to be an A rated facility, which is one of the best ratings that we offer. You really can't do much better than this place. This also worked out to be a very consistent nursing home with consistent ratings in each of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Honolulu senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In this category, we awarded this nursing home an A. We scrutinized the licensure of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses worked with patients, in computing our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its high-end resume, this nursing home also excelled in our short-term care area. In fact, it received a score of A in that area. Our short-term care scores are important for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Maluhia?
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate deficiency data for this facility. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this nursing home received an extremely favorable long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it an A- in this area, rounding out a straight A profile. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 90.38462 percent of its patients. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Maluhia Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Maluhia, 5.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Maluhia, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Maluhia, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have had a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Maluhia, 10.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Maluhia, 8.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Maluhia, 1.74% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Maluhia, 95.43% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Maluhia, 13.21% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Maluhia, 18.67% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In Maluhia, 1.11 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Maluhia, 18.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Maluhia, 76.75% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Honolulu, HI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Honolulu, Hawaii has 5 other nursing homes
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.67 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.18 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & ChildrenChildrens 2.97 miles away1319 Punahou Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 983-6000
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 3 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Adventist Health CastleAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away640 Ulukahiki St Kailua Hawaii 96734Voluntary non-profit - Church(808) 263-5500
- Dsi Aloha Dialysis Center0.6 miles away1520 Liliha Street, Suite 101 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 531-1748
- Siemsen Dialysis Facility0.61 miles away2226 Liliha Street Suite 226 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 74 (808) 585-4660
- Dsi Honolulu Dialysis Center0.79 miles away226 N. Kuakini St Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 54 (808) 545-3933
- Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii Ala Moana1.97 miles away500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 7302 Honolulu Hawaii 96813Dialysis Stations: 3 (808) 566-6388
- Us Renal Care Beretania Dialysis3.32 miles away1908 South Beretania Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Dialysis Stations: 17 (808) 947-2797
- Dsi Kapahulu Dialysis Center4.98 miles away750 Palani Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 732-7702
- Liberty Dialysis Hawaii - Hawaii Salt Lake5.09 miles away4380 Lawehana Street, Ste 100 Honolulu Hawaii 96818Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 423-6828
- Dsi - Windward Dialysis Center5.73 miles away45-480 Kaneohe Bay Drive #d09 Kaneohe Hawaii 96744CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 235-0885