Magnolia Post Acute Care is an average-sized facility located in El Cajon, California. We gave this nursing home a B- overall, which is a solid grade. This is comparable with the city grade in El Cajon, which is a B. As far as we can see, this facility ought to be a good fit for most people. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Magnolia Post Acute Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
635 S Magnolia Ave,
El Cajon CA 92020
93.93% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we awarded this facility an A- for our inspections rating. This grade is far better than the facility's overall grade. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this facility an B. When calculating our nursing scores, we look at both staffing levels and the training levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Magnolia Post Acute Care?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a strong long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a B in this category, which is one of our better. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at was short-term care. For this category, we awarded this nursing home a C. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final item we looked at in this area is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Magnolia Post Acute Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term residents who have experienced falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Magnolia Post Acute Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.85 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 11.25 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon1.47 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Balboa East County1.79 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center2.15 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis5.86 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College6.09 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego7.54 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise8.29 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East9 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225