Homestead Healthcare Center is a large facility located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Featuring an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Indianapolis. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Homestead Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Indianapolis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Neither this facility's overall grade nor its category scores gave us anything positive to point out. Its best category was short-term care, but even there it received a grade of just D. In computing our short-term care scores, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This score is frequently a fair assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Based on its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected to find. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics doomed this facility's short-term care grade.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of D. Our nursing grade is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This facility averaged just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Homestead Healthcare Center?
Unfortunately, this place received a lowly F for its inspection score. This is a very important category. Scores in this range usually mean we found some red flags on the facility's government inspection reports. For places with bad inspection scores, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed a category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more severe categories of deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies identified by inspectors had the potential to cause actual harm to patients. Finally, we want to point out that this facility was assessed significant government fines in recent years totaling over $100,000. This generally signifies that a nursing home's poor track record spanned multiple years.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. It received a lowly F in this category, which is an abysmal score. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed. One of the data points we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccines. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 38.367348 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Homestead Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced falls resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 14.48% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 91.03% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Homestead Healthcare Center, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 23 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 2.32 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 9.44 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Johnson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.52 miles away1125 W Jefferson St Franklin Indiana 46131Government - Local(317) 736-3300
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 12.77 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Indiana Dialysis Company0.47 miles away7840 Madison Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46227CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (317) 300-9400
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC0.63 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Fmc - Indianapolis-South1.48 miles away1350 E County Line Rd Suite L Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 865-8520
- Davita - Indy South Dialysis2.88 miles away972 Emerson Parkway, Suite E Greenwood Indiana 46143Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 881-0641
- Us Renal Care-Greenwood Renal Center3.4 miles away125 Airport Parkway, Suite 140 Greenwood Indiana 46143CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (317) 883-1280
- Davita - Marion County4.3 miles away3834 South Emerson Avenue Building B Indianapolis Indiana 46203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 787-3171
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy8.56 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis8.75 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303