Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center is a nursing home in Macon, Georgia, a city with 165,895 people. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a lower end nursing home. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 12 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
505 Coliseum Drive,
Macon GA 31217
83.4% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our better scores. For residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 89.62656 percent of its residents. This is somewhat lower than we expected. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.67 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes.
Does this page answer your questions about Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development was the F this nursing home was given in the area of short-term care. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. It looks like this place was below average in multiple staffing metrics we focus on. The facility supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This facility a bit in this area as well, with just 47.8 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
The next area we scored was nursing, in which this facility was given a very poor grade in this category as well. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is definitely very concerning. When determining our nursing grades, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of the nurses. With just 2.5 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Unfortunately, this place also had terrible scores in some of the quality-based measures to go along with its weak nursing hours. We looked at the percent of patients suffering pressure ulcers and we were disappointed. This place was at roughly 1.5 times the national average in this measure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 10.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients that have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 3.2% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 18.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 5.36% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 93.3% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 23.16% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 23.16 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 11.64 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 69.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Macon, GA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Macon, Georgia has 11 other nursing homes
- Coliseum Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 0.21 miles away350 Hospital Drive Macon Georgia 31217Voluntary non-profit - Private(478) 765-7000
- Medical Center, Navicent Health (The)Acute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away777 Hemlock Street Macon Georgia 31201Government - Hospital District or Authority(478) 633-1000
- Coliseum Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.75 miles away400 Charter Boulevard Macon Georgia 31210Proprietary(478) 757-8200
- Houston Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.82 miles away1601 Watson Boulevard Warner Robins Georgia 31093Voluntary non-profit - Private(478) 922-4281
- Medical Center of Peach County, Navicent HealthCritical Access Hospitals 18.7 miles away1960 Highway 247 Connector Byron Georgia 31008Government - Hospital District or Authority(478) 654-2000
- Dsi Macon Dialysis0.37 miles away280 Clinton St Macon Georgia 31217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (478) 743-9506
- East Macon Dialysis Center0.42 miles away165 Emery Highway Suite 101 Macon Georgia 31217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (478) 755-1144
- Macon Eastside Dialysis Center0.65 miles away640 North Avenue Suite H Macon Georgia 31211Dialysis Stations: 16 (478) 621-0542
- Kidney Dialysis Center LLC1.27 miles away640 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Macon Georgia 31201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (478) 742-5850
- Dsi Macon Pine Street Dialysis1.35 miles away745 Pine Street Macon Georgia 31210Dialysis Stations: 18 (478) 742-5138
- Davita Dialysis of Middle Georgia Inc.1.41 miles away747 Second Street Macon Georgia 31201CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (478) 742-4211
- Dsi Macon Hemlock Dialysis1.44 miles away657 Hemlock St Ste 100 Macon Georgia 31201Dialysis Stations: 22 (478) 742-8001
- Dialysis Center of Macon, LLC1.56 miles away890 Second Street 1st Floor Macon Georgia 31201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (478) 743-0584