Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell is a facility in Caldwell, New Jersey. The city has 24,812 people. Featuring an overall grade of A+, this facility is undoubtedly a world class facility. We were impressed enough to rank this facility as one of the top 50 facilities in New Jersey. This nursing home also received impressive grades in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Caldwell senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Caldwell, New Jersey Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New Jersey Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Caldwell, New Jersey Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled at short-term care, where it received an A+. Few facilities fared better in this area. In determining these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This facility also earned an A+ inspection score, making it one of the rare places to receive multiple A+'s in our category grades. This score is based on the nursing home's government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the biggest complements we can pay to a nursing home. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a fine long-term care grade. This actually ended up being its third strongest category grade. In that category, this facility received a grade of A. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the final category, this nursing home also was awarded a first-rate nursing grade, with a grade of A. This topped off a first-rate report card. There are quite a few factors within this grade. Most of these subcategories reflect levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 8.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 5.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that have had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 17.39% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. However, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 1.32% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 10.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 2.78% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 14.89% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 20.86% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 20.86% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 25.62% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crane’s Mill at West Caldwell, 89.17% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 3.57 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.61 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.2 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.97 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Clare's Hospital/ Denville CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.12 miles away25 Pocono Road Denville New Jersey 07834Proprietary(973) 983-5569
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis4.14 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis4.29 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair4.38 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital4.81 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- Fresenius Medical Care Livingston, LLC5.01 miles away348 East Northfield Road Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 535-0667
- Ara Dialysis Center at West Orange5.6 miles away101 Old Shorts Hills Road Ste 120 Carlstadt New Jersey 07072CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 736-8300
- Fkc Acc Livingston St Barnabas So Orange Ave5.65 miles awayAcc Livingston Hemodialysis 200 So Orange Avenue Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 322-7150
- Fmc Orange Dc6.23 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400