Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs is a small non-profit nursing home located in Ballwin, Missouri. With an overall grade of A, this facility is ranked among the top facilities we found. In fact, this facility has the distinction of being one of the 25 best facilities in Missouri. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also strong. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
50 Meramec Trails Drive,
Ballwin MO 63021
55.14% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score is largely associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provides an incredible 7.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Out of that total, many of the hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. On top of providing impressive levels of nursing care, this facility also performed well in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. By way of illustration, in terms of the number of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, this place performed better than the national average. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented with better nursing care and a policy of regularly moving patients to prevent bed sores.
Does this page answer your questions about Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our next area, we awarded this facility a score of A for its short-term care grade. This is a superb score. Our short-term care ratings are vital for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional skilled nursing. This includes a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. This facility excelled in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it supplied more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the country in this area with 56.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
In our final category, this facility also was given an excellent long-term care rating, with a grade of B+. This completed a very strong report card. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 96.59091 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 9.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 4.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients which have suffered a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 3.44% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 20.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 24.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 4.04% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 89.97% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 14.55% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 15.54% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 15.54 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 11.99 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 72.55% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Ballwin, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Ballwin, Missouri has 3 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 13.15 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Progress West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away2 Progress Point Pkwy O Fallon Missouri 63368Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 344-1000
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis3.48 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Fenton Dialysis Center3.5 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Ellisville Dialysis Center4.51 miles away257 Clarkson Road Ballwin Missouri 63011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 207-7401
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC5.37 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522
- Eureka Dialysis Center6.56 miles away419 Meramec Blvd Eureka Missouri 63025Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 587-2063
- Town and Country West Dialysis6.89 miles away12855 N 40 Drive Suite l4 Saint Louis Missouri 63141Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 542-0049
- Crestwood Dialysis8 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Frontenac Home Dialysis Center8.55 miles away10435 Clayton Rd Suite 201 Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 6 (314) 567-0645