Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs is a facility located in Ballwin, Missouri, a city with a population of 92,608 people. We gave this nursing home an overall score of A+, which is world class rating. In fact, this is actually the number one rated facility in the city. This is really as good of a place as you'll find. One of the major highlights of this facility's stellar report card is its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
50 Meramec Trails Drive,
Ballwin MO 63021
46.91% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Ballwin, Missouri Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Ballwin, Missouri Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Ballwin, Missouri Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall grade, we gave this place an A+ for our inspection category. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. The nursing rating considers numerous factors. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.9 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, we gave this facility a grade of A for its long-term care grade. This is a dominant grade. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 96.55173 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category we scored, this facility was awarded a very favorable grade of A in our short-term care category. With this score, the facility wrapped up a straight A report card. Short-term care grades are generally employed to measure a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to offer good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 4.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 88.53% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lutheran Senior Services at Meramec Bluffs, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Ballwin, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Ballwin, Missouri has 3 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 13.15 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Progress West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away2 Progress Point Pkwy O Fallon Missouri 63368Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 344-1000
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis3.48 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Fenton Dialysis Center3.5 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Ellisville Dialysis Center4.51 miles away257 Clarkson Road Ballwin Missouri 63011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 207-7401
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC5.37 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522
- Eureka Dialysis Center6.56 miles away419 Meramec Blvd Eureka Missouri 63025Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 587-2063
- Town and Country West Dialysis6.89 miles away12855 N 40 Drive Suite l4 Saint Louis Missouri 63141Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 542-0049
- Crestwood Dialysis8 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Frontenac Home Dialysis Center8.55 miles away10435 Clayton Rd Suite 201 Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 6 (314) 567-0645