Luther Crest Nursing Facility is a nursing home located in Allentown, Pennsylvania. This city has a total of 166,081 people. This is a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. We were pleased to learn that this matched the average grade of facilities in Allentown, which is one of the better cities in Pennsylvania to find a nursing home. This place also received consistently good ratings in all four of our categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Luther Crest Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
800 Hausman Road,
Allentown PA 18104
89.33% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care grade. In our short-term care category, we try to forge a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Luther Crest Nursing Facility?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in calculating our score in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was long-term care, where this nursing home received a grade of B. This nursing home turned out to be very solid across the board. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Luther Crest Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Allentown, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Allentown, Pennsylvania has 8 other nursing homes
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.64 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.69 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.43 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.77 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- St Luke's Hospital-Gnaden Huetten CampusAcute Care Hospitals 18.5 miles away211 North 12th Street Lehighton Pennsylvania 18235Voluntary non-profit - Private(607) 377-1300
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Allentown2.32 miles away3136 Hamilton Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18103CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (610) 435-6718
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis3.27 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC3.27 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Allentown4.78 miles away2820 Mitchell Avenue Allentown Pennsylvania 18103Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 797-7655
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville4.85 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall5.17 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Etowah Dialysis LLC5.48 miles away2550 Route 100, Suite 2 Macungie Pennsylvania 18062Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 336-8350
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.6 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706