Luther Crest Nursing Facility is a nursing home located in Allentown, Pennsylvania. This city has a total of 166,081 people. This facility was given an A- overall, which is one of our more impressive ratings. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the nation. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Luther Crest Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home has received near flawless health inspections recently. We awarded them an A+ in this area. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many dominant grades, this facility received a strong short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Luther Crest Nursing Facility?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. We looked at the qualifications of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses spent with patients, in computing our grade in this category. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is long-term care. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a solid grade of B-. This actually was this nursing home's worst category. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Luther Crest Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which had a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 3.23% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 88.5% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Luther Crest Nursing Facility, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Allentown, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Allentown, Pennsylvania has 8 other nursing homes
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.64 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.69 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.43 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.77 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- St Luke's Hospital-Gnaden Huetten CampusAcute Care Hospitals 18.5 miles away211 North 12th Street Lehighton Pennsylvania 18235Voluntary non-profit - Private(607) 377-1300
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Allentown2.32 miles away3136 Hamilton Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18103CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (610) 435-6718
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis3.27 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC3.27 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Allentown4.78 miles away2820 Mitchell Avenue Allentown Pennsylvania 18103Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 797-7655
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville4.85 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall5.17 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Etowah Dialysis LLC5.48 miles away2550 Route 100, Suite 2 Macungie Pennsylvania 18062Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 336-8350
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.6 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706