Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Aurora, Colorado. This facility received a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a relatively poor grade. Aurora received a city grade of B+, so there are other options in the city worth considering. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, you can continue reading to learn more about its category grades. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Aurora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall grade, it received an impressive nursing rating this year. We gave it a B+ in this area. Nursing ratings are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The second best area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. In the area of short-term care, we strive to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The question is whether this adversely impacted quality of care. The last item we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility only received a grade of D for its long-term care rating, which is not one of our better scores. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category may not provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. After we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated only 58.333332 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Turning our last category of inspections, this nursing home received an abysmal grade. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. For nursing homes with poor inspection grades, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, we also would like to point out that this place received significant government fines in recent years amounting to more than $100,000. This often means that a nursing home's poor performance has been an issue for more than one year.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients which sustained falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 3.91% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 84.62% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 16.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 16.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lowry Hills Care and Rehabilitation, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 6 other nursing homes
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 2.07 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 2.33 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 2.93 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 4.17 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- Denver Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away777 Bannock St Denver Colorado 80204Government - State(303) 602-4930
- Lowry Dialysis Center (Dva)1.68 miles away7465 E 1st Ave Ste A Denver Colorado 80230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 367-0946
- University of Co Hospital - Home Dialysis2.11 miles away12605 E. 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 6 (720) 848-3102
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)2.38 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.2.44 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)2.65 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)2.79 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)3.25 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)3.34 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704