Lorien Mays Chapel is a nursing home in Lutherville Timonium, Maryland, a city with a population of 36,465 people. This nursing home received an excellent grade of A- overall. This is even better than the city grade of B+ in Lutherville Timonium, which is also well above average. This is just about as good of a nursing home as you're going to find. If you look below, you can see this nursing home's category grades, which are also impressive.
Lorien Mays Chapel
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for short-term care. In determining our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is frequently a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we gave this facility an A- for inspections. Our inspection grades are tied to items found on the a nursing home's government inspections. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Mays Chapel?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our stronger grades in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. Facilities that excel in this category typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.55947 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we assessed is nursing. This facility received a strong nursing score in our assessment, with a grade of B. Although this isn't quite as strong as many of its other scores, this is still one of the stronger grades in this area. Our nursing rating is largely associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Mays Chapel Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 10.05% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 92.62% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Mays Chapel, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.97 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 11.73 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Fresenius Kidney Care Lutheran Greenspring Drive1.15 miles away1940 Greenspring Drive Lutherville Timonium Maryland 21093Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 252-2140
- Davita Dulaney Towson Dialysis Center4.22 miles away113 West Road Towson Maryland 21204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (410) 825-3690
- Davita - Falls Road5.5 miles away1423 Clarkview Road Ste 500 Baltimore Maryland 21209CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 828-4643
- Fresenius Medical Care Towson5.7 miles away7801 York Road, Ste. 150 Towson Maryland 21204Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 321-0853
- Northwest Dialysis Center6.41 miles away2245 Rolling Run Dr Ste 1 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0158
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Pikesville6.78 miles away115 Mchenry Ave Bedford Square 2 Suite D Pikesville Maryland 21208Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 484-3127
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cromwell6.85 miles away8710 Emge Rd Parkville Maryland 21234Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 661-0801
- Bertha Sirk Dialysis Center7.35 miles away5820 York Rd Ste 10 Baltimore Maryland 21212Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 532-9311